Thursday, March 3, 2011

Where's the Photos??????

Hi everyone, part of the fun of photography is sharing your photos with others, as a photographer I like seeing other photographers work. I love going on photo shoots to interesting places with other photographers and then seeing what photos everyone comes up with. Unfortunately a lot of times you never see what the other photographers came up with.  How many times have you been on a photo shoot with one of the areas photo clubs where there are 20 to 30 photographers  taking hundreds of photos, Most times after the shoot you never see any of the photos and I don't understand why. What is everyone doing with their photos? In the old days the photos ended up collecting dust in a shoe box, these days it appears that the photos languish on the photographers home computers never to be enjoyed by anyone else. To me part of the fun of photography is seeing what everyone comes up with when they go on a photo shoot to the same place. It's fun to see the different ways each photographer "sees" the subject. In today's modern society and computer age you would think most photographers would be posting their photos, but sad to say, if they do post them they never give anyone the link to their site. For example on Facebook I have over 400 friends and at least 200 of them are photogaphers but I only see the photos of nine or ten of the same photographers posting photos or links to their photo sites.  Often I'll check the "Fan" pages on Facebook of the areas Photography clubs after they go on a photo shoot eager to see if anyone posted photos  from the shoot, most of the time I'm disappointed to find that only one or two photographers posted any photos. I'll even check out the Flickr sites, there you'll see a little more activity, but it's usually from the same 9 or 10 photographers. So my question is "What does everyone do with their photos?



A photo from the Volvo Graveyard Shoot - Click photo to see more


Photographing the Past

6 comments:

  1. I think I'm one of the 10, so if anybody else wants to know what I do with my photos, I post them on smugmug and on facebook. Like Ron, I photograph just about everything and I try to post a good majority of what I shoot. I don't really specialize in one area because everything else is way too interesting to ignore. I love a challenge and trying to excel in every facet of photography is a constant learning process. I'll take whatever knowledge somebody gives me and I am more than willing to share anything that I have learned over the years. I also enjoy studying other photographer's work because it gives me ideas that I probably never would have thought of if I didn't observe. For those of you who don't post your work, start by creating an account on Smugmug (especially if you refuse to join Facebook). Smugmug simply rocks (and no, I don't work for Smugmug or have any type of affiliation other than being an extremely happy customer).

    Find me on Smugmug or on Facebook (see below):

    Dale McDonald
    http://digitalphotosbydale.smugmug.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DaleMcDonald.Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Dale you are one of the more frequent photos. I agree with Dale, Smugmug is one of the best places for photo sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. Not only it is fun but it is also a great learning tool to see other peoples photos. We have a forum on our website that is dedicated to posting photographs from workshop.

    http://www.photographybyvarina.com/forums/

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron...I love that you want to see others work. And that you push us to click and upload. I have put work up for the last 2 years and I have so much more work to put up. I live in the mountains so it is not always easy during the winter months to upload. I also have a back load of photos I'm trying to sort through...which is the hardest part since I have thousands and thousands now. Ron, I'm going to push myself to get more up there and to also see what smugmug entails. I LOVE THE CAR photo...it is one of those perfect pictures for mixing black and white and color. Boy, I wish I could sit by your side and learn all day. Thanks for pushing us photographers to get out there and do it and then show it. Martha Singer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron, Thanks for giving us a place to share, learn, compare and post! Although I'm out here in Washington State now..........I AM A NORTHEASTERN OHIOIAN FOREVER!!!!
    Vicki
    www.vmoisiophotography.com

    ReplyDelete