Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dolly Sods Wilderness, West Virginia

A few years ago I went on a vacation to West Virginia and one of the places I explored was the Dolly Sods Wilderness. Here's a description of Dolly Sods from Wikipedia:

Dolly Sods is the highest plateau of its type east of the Mississippi River with altitude ranging from around 4,000 feet (1,200 m) at the top of a mountain ridge on the Allegheny Front to about 2,700 feet (820 m) at the outlet of Red Creek. The highest point in this immediate area is Mount Porte Crayon, at 4,770 feet (1,454 m), in Flatrock-Roaring Plains.

To get to Dolly  Sods I had to travel up a narrow 1 and a half lane road, it got pretty scary at times and I prayed no one was coming down as I was going up, since there wasn't much room to pull over. Once you get up there you travel along Forest Road 75
FR75 (Forest Road 75) The main drag in Dolly Sods

The view from Dolly Sods is great and there are a lot of trails to explore, since I was there by myself, I stuck close to the road.


Dolly Sods

It is also very windy at Dolly Sods and you'll see all the trees branches pointing to the east
Dolly Sods - Notice that the trees only have branches on one side, it's so windy up there that the branches only grow on one side and face east.

One interesting fact is they used Dolly Sods during WWII for training and they warn you live bombs could still exist in the area.


I could've been killed!!!!
I Could of been Killed!!!


Click any of the above photos to go to the gallery.

Click here to see a Dolly Sods Slide Show

Click here to learn more about Dolly Sods on Wikipedia


 

No comments:

Post a Comment